In college I experimented a lot with cooking, and by cooking I mean making different kinds of grilled cheese and oatmeal. One experiment yielded this gem – the french dip grilled cheese.
This sandwich became my go-to lunch and drunk food. It’s easy, it adds to it’s own deliciousness by getting juicy while cooking, and I would even venture to say that it’s healthy.
2 slices whole wheat bread
1-2 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese singles
1 tsp unsalted butter or butter substitute
2-4 slices roast beef deli meat (I recommend Hillshire Farms because that’s all I’ve tried this with)
Optional: Marinara sauce or bruschetta
- You know how to make a grilled cheese, right? Do that.
- Okay fine. Here’s how. Butter one side of each slice of bread
- Place one slice of bread, butter side down, on a pan, on the stove, on medium heat
- Place one slice mozzarella cheese on top of bread, then add beef
- If desired, add second slice of cheese on top of beef
- Place remaining slice of bread, butter side up, on top
- Cook until bread has browned and cheese has started to melt
- Flip sandwich over
- Repeat step 7
- Remove from heat & enjoy, possibly with a great red sauce
I don’t have a photo of this specific grilled cheese, but I do have a picture of a grilled cheese. Enjoy this ‘gram of a s’mores grilled cheese I got from a food truck in New York once.